As you age, your skin takes a lot of abuse.
Eventually, your skin will show the effects of every cigarette you have ever smoked and every minute you spent in the sun without protection. You will look in the mirror and see every stressful day and every sleepless night you had during your youth.
Basically, as you age, your skin loses its ability to produce collagen and elastin. You start holding on to the outer dead layers longer, so your skin takes on a dry gray appearance.
Here are a few behavioural anti-aging skin tips you should consider:
• Stop Smoking: You’ve heard it all before. But cigarette smoke is just as bad for your skin as it is your lungs and heart. Research shows that cigarette smoke is a major cause of dry and wrinkled skin. Cigarette smoke depletes your body of Vitamin C, which is really crucial in keeping skin plump, young and moist.
• Get More Sleep: Even teenagers and 20-somethings will show the effects of insufficient sleep on their skin. As you age, bags under your eyes show up even more.
• Use Sunscreen: Like most skin issues, too much time in the sun can be a huge factor. A tan is nice, but being unprotected in the sun can lead to the skin looking coarse or leathery.
The 3 D’s of Aging Skin
1) Deterioration: as we age we make less and less collagen and elastin. Skin becomes thinner, weaker, and less able to rebound after stretching.
2) Deflation: we lose tissue, primarily fat but also muscle and even bone, under the skin. Our faces basically shrink and the skin is too big, so it looks saggy.
3) Descent: take the first two D’s and add gravity and you have descent, the formation of deep folds, jowls, and other sagging.
How can you fix the D’s ?
1) Deterioration: Cosmeceuticals, peels, radio frequency skin tightening, and skin resurfacing all address deterioration. Don’t forget prevention! Stop smoking and use sunscreen every day.
2) Deflation: fillers can be used to replace the volume you have lost under your facial skin.
3) Descent: skin tightening can address mild to moderate descent, but more severe descent requires a face lift.
Dermal fillers are injected to "fill" any part of the face.
Most procedures take about half an hour and the effects of dermal fillers can be seen immediately following the first treatment. The duration of benefit depends on the substance used, the area injected, and the person injected, and can range from 9-18 months.
These interfere with signals from nerves to muscles, which relaxes them and results in a loss of dynamic wrinkles in the area.
Treatments usually involve 5 shots given to the forehead, 3 around each eye, and 5-7 shots are given in the glabellum (between the eyebrows).
These are cosmetics with pharmaceutical properties. Unlike pure cosmetics that simply cover or decorate the skin, cosmeceuticals have measurable biologic effects on the skin.
Cosmeceuticals have properties that protect the skin from oxidation and stimulate collagen production. We carry several lines including Skin Medica, Vivier, Obagi, and Cellcosmet. Rather than carry every procuct in each line, we have chosen what we fel are the best products in each category of product. We have done the research for you so you get the best of the best.
Peels work in part by producing a mild chemical injury to the skin. This injury triggers healing mechanisms which create an anti-aging effect including boosting collagen production.
There are three categories of peels: superficial, medium, and deep. The vast majority of peels that we do are in the superficial category. When you need more intensive treatment, we offer laser procedures such as Pixel laser resurfacing.
Skin tightening uses radio waves to induce new collagen production. Treatments are painless and radio waves are harmless.
Our knowledgeable and experienced staff can help you with your skin today. You can contact us by calling 905.853.3200 or you can click here to book an appointment.